For example, last Monday we were having Primary Presidency meeting. I was writing notes and they told me to write something about President Benson and President Kimball. I first had to ask how Benson was spelled. I thought, that is odd I know how to spell that. Then we moved on to President Kimball. I spelled it Kimble. Now keep in mind, I not only have a sister-in-law with the last name Kimball but I named my daughter Camilla in large part because I really admired Camilla Kimball as a child and young woman. The name Kimball should not be a problem. I have noticed it is actually names that I struggle with most. I am the person that will ask you about 5 times to repeat your name if it is unusual. But, of course, this memory problem is not just spelling and names.
Last night we were at my cousin's wedding reception in Fillmore, Utah. The first thing I did the girls had a good laugh. On the card for the present I wrote her name Ashly several times and then looked for the grooms name and realized that it was spelled Ashley. So, I had to sneak an e in, I am sure she will probably figure out that I spelled her name wrong and then fixed it. Then I was talking to my Uncle and he said that in eight days he and my aunt would be all alone. I said "Oh, is Dustin(my cousin) going to college?" "No, he is going on a mission." Oh, duh I had actually planned to go to his farewell last Sunday but something else came up so I didn't. I felt so dumb. But the next experience beats all.
One evening I was making dinner. I was steaming asparagus on the stove. It was in a steamer basket in a really nice saucepan. I went downstairs and started talking to Curtis. Pretty soon I could smell a funny smell. I had forgotten to put water in the bottom of the pan. I ran upstairs and realized that the asparagus was burning, but I didn't know how bad it was. I picked up the pan to move it off of the heat and metal started pouring out of the bottom of the pan and onto the stove. It scared me so much that I jerked the pan and some of the molten metal landed on our floor and started burning black holes into our wooden floor. I was sick. All that work to put the floor in and now holes. Maybe it's not so bad. Every person that has seen it says that it just makes it more rustic looking. You be the judge.


So, what do you think? Is this normal? I used to have a faboulous memory. Or at least I thought. I used to be a spelling Bee champ. But when we watch jeopary I am suprised I can stilll remember a lot of things deep down in my memory. I can even beat Curtis at jeopardy, well. . . . . If the questions don't involve math, science, computers, or possibly a few other subjects.
2 comments:
I am SO with you! My memory is either in my computer or on paper, but it just doesn't stay in my brain. A couple of my worst:
Asking someone how far the drive was to the Caymand Islands.
Asking a marine (because I wasn't even sure if he was army, air force, marine, etc, and didn't want to out myself in that arena) who had served in Afghanistan if that was an Afghanistan flag he was flying out front. It wasn't, it was his marine flag. I was SO embarrased.
I've done worse, my memory just isn't supplying the data right now... maybe it's self preservation (from more embarrasment, anyway)....
I can so relate I had a good memory until I got married, and had a child. My worst offence in the memory game is I keep forgetting my friends husband and kids names when I am in the middle of talking to them, oy that is the worst!I really enjoy reading your blog, and I wanted to let you know that you are my blog of the week!
Love
Tiff
Post a Comment