Monday, October 6, 2008

My knight in shining armor

It all started about two months ago, I taped a "No Soliciting" sign to my door (packing tape). Why is this a problem you might ask. A woman who was selling cleaning liquid came up to my front door, saw that there was a "No Soliciting" sign and proceeded to rip it off. I saw this as I came home and discovered her on my front lawn. Anyway. It left the tape from the sign. I would never recommend leaving tape on your door for very long. The tape was on so long it would not come off well. That got me to thinking, what if I repaint the door. It needed it really badly, the paint had been chipping off and the frame around the door looked horrible. So, I went and selected the paint. I chose a very dark green almost black. I love the black doors around our neighborhood but black has no relevance to my house. The brick is red and the shutters are dark green. The color will become relevant in a minute.

I waited and waited to paint the door. We were working on other projects and were busy so it didn't get done. I decided Curtis is so busy he is not going to want to help me do this door so I'll do it alone. This last Friday I got it all prepped and ready. But I realized that I only had a 2 inch brush. But I was so anxious to do it, the small brush would do right? I started to paint but the paint was not sticking to the door very well. I thought either I am going to have to do 15 coats or I am going to have to lay it on thick. I decided mistakenly of course, to lay it on as thick as I could. Hey maybe I'll get lucky and only have to do one coat. Well you can probably imagine the dripping and the mess I was making. But having never painted a door I still thought this might work. The paint started to dry in some places but there were still some white places were I had missed. So I would take an equally large amount of paint and slop it on. Well what I was creating was all kinds of bumps, globs, and drip marks. I started to realize what a mess this was becoming. But I was still hoping for the best, maybe it would dry smooth.

About an hour later I was scared but I knew I should look. It was just as I feared, terrible. I called Curtis very distraught, and asked if we could buy a screen door. He said I am sure it is not that bad. But I couldn't help but cry, you see this was my attempt to be like my talented husband. He does well at any project he tries, he is so capable. I wanted to try something new and have it be successful. Now you probably think that I am being too dramatic, it is just a door. But through my head the entire time was a line from a decorating class I took once. The front door is the place where people first see when they come and it is very important to have it look nice. So as you can see I was right in feeling sorry for myself. I decided that I should ask Alayna to babysit and I would either go eat a lot of chocolate or lie down and rest and give myself more time to feel sorry for myself. This is how I cope with disappointment, but I couldn't eat I had to weigh in at weight watchers the next day. (I lost 3 pounds this week, hurray) In the meantime my wonderful husband came home early from work. He grabbed the sander and stared the sand the mess down. His BYU game (Go cougars!) was about to start but he didn't care he just worked until all of the offending paint was off. Then he helped me repaint. After two more coats, I realized I need to be a little more patient next time. Thanks Curtis you are fabulous, you really saved me.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Aren't husbands great?

The door looks wonderful!

The 5 Disney Lovers said...

Terri, we are too much alike, that is something that would happen at our household, love the color and LOVE the witch, where did you get her???
Michelle